A concrete mixer is a device that makes concrete by uniformly combining aggregates such as gravel and sand, cement, and water. A basic concrete mixer uses a drum that revolves to combine the various ingredients of concrete. A concrete mixer truck, on the other hand, is a truck upon which the revolving drum is mounted to transport the concrete from one point to another and to ensure that the ingredients of concrete combine homogenously. Portable concrete mixers are used in small construction works where the work location is changing from time to time.
Main Types of Concrete Mixer Trucks
Concrete mixer trucks ( camion revolvedora de concreto ) are composed of in-transit mixers which help to combine the ingredients of concrete. Aggregates, sand, water, and cement can be loaded in the trucks to allow them to mix along the way as the truck takes them to the site of use. The main types of concrete trucks are as stated and explained in details below.
1. Rough Terrain Mixer Trucks
These are 4×4 wheel-drive vehicles that can climb over very rough terrains when their mixer drums are empty or fully loaded. The trucks are the most preferred design because they can do all kinds of jobs. They can transport, load, produce, and, mix vast amounts of concrete per day. However, the trucks are expensive to purchase.
2. Volumetric Concrete Trucks
The volumetric concrete trucks can be viewed as combinations of both mobile truck mixers and batch plants. They combine the advantages of both mobile and batch plants because they store all the concrete ingredients in separate chambers and combines them to form fresh concrete when the need arises. The volumetric flasks are advantageous and economical because they make sure that you only make the concrete you want to use leaving the remaining raw materials untouched.
3. Concrete Pump Truck Mixers
They are the most cost-effective of the concrete mixer trucks. They have long pumping systems that help them pour concrete over very long distances on the construction sites( maquinaria de construccion ). The trucks also reduce the manual work required to operate them because the mixer drum does most tasks. The trucks are very efficient in discharging concrete to the right places on the construction site. The trucks significantly cut down the cost of production, and this increases the profit margins.
Essential Components of Concrete Mixer Trucks
1. Mixer- The mixer ( hormigonera autocargable ) is a large rotating drum that is used to combine the concrete ingredients to make concrete.
2. The Feeding System- The system is composed of channels that allow concrete elements to enter the mixer.
3. The Discharge System- The system has channels and means that enable concrete to leave the mixer.
4. The Cleaners- Cleaners are essential for cleaning the tank to remove any residues that remain after the discharge of concrete.
Features and Benefits of Concrete Mixer Trucks
– The cylindrical shape of the mixers is very efficient at ensuring a uniform combination of cement and other concrete ingredients.
– The mixer trucks save time and money by substituting manual work required to make concrete.
– Concrete mixer trucks are cost-effective because they remove the necessity of hiring more employees to make concrete manually.
– The mixer trucks reduce environmental pollution because the mixing process takes place in an enclosed compartment. The enclosed chamber ensures that dust and other small particles do not escape into the atmosphere.
– The trucks are efficient because they ensure that only the required amount of concrete is discharged per given time.
Applications of Concrete Mixer Trucks
The mixer trucks are used in:
1. Road construction works.
2. Development of bridges.
3. Maintenance of runways.
4. Construction of buildings.
5. Repair of sewage systems.
Precautions While Working With the Trucks
1. The concrete mixing systems should be maintained periodically for efficient performance.
2. Safety gears including hand gloves should be worn when operating the mixer trucks to protect the workers from coming into contact with wet concrete.
3. The mixer trucks should not be overloaded with concrete to prevent accidents and imbalances while on transit.
4. All the moving parts of the truck should be lubricated to protect them from corrosion.
5. Broken sections of the mixer unit should be repaired or replaced immediately.
Choosing the Right Mixer Trucks
The following factors should be considered when selecting a concrete truck for a particular task:
1. The cost of the truck- The most cost-effective truck should be chosen to cut down on the production cost.
2. The size of the truck- The correct size of the truck should be selected as per the size of the project at hand.
3. The engine power of the truck- More powerful trucks are required to deliver concrete to remote places with poor roads.
4. The prevailing weather conditions- Places that are prone to torrential rains and muddy conditions require stronger concrete mixer trucks.
5. The height of the truck- Shorter trucks are more stable than taller trucks because of their lower centres of gravity.
Manufacturers of Concrete Mixer Trucks
1. Pan Mixers in South Africa
2. McNeilus Concrete Mixers
3. Con-Tech Manufacturers
4. Continental Mixer LLC
5. ARMEC SRL Manufacturers
In summary, understanding the various types of concrete mixer plants is critical in ensuring that you select the best truck that will adequately meet your construction demands.